stop motion video

Post about your projects!

stop motion video

Unread postby Denis » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Eric Lovejoy and I have been working on the stop motion project, mostly Eric. He modified a computer keyboard and use image magic to capture, play, start (clear) and send using an Ubuntu computer. I looked into stopmotion software for Ubuntu and I liked it better than the Image Magic. I am able to remap (rebind) the keys which Eric was limited to to different keys using "xev" and "xmodmap." I put the computer which Eric set up, and a monitor from Eric and a camera at the location. The computer does not have Wifi yet so I did not get stopmotion software installed. I think that there is a Wifi dongle where I don't have a key to.

The 4 keys which Eric wired up from the keyboard are 5, 6, t and p. He used those because they were easily available. The 4 commands which he used in the shell script are (paraphrased) begin/clear, capture, play and stream. Stopmotion uses key combinations and confirm which present a bigger challenge but not an unsolvable challenge.

Re: stop motion video

Unread postby Denis » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Yesterday, Eric Burdo, Justin, Alex, and JeepingBen contributed a lot to the project software fundamentals.

The filename as datestamp problem was solved by them. However, I have been convinced that stopmotion is not the best approach. A point that Eric Lovejoy had proposed. Alex is going to work on the project and present the results at our next meeting. I would like for Eric L and Alex to have a meeting of the minds which I will try to arrange.

Thanks to everybody for their help. My greatest achievement was in understanding some basic coding techniques.

Ryan's mom is very interested in the project as well. She is involved in another stop motion project already.

Return to Projects