Bird display for MDM

Post about your projects!

Bird display for MDM

Unread postby Denis » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:36 am

Ben, myself and others are working on a display for MDM involving a bird display. The project involves birds models being position onto a landscape. If the bird is in the correct position it will sing its song. The design I have come up with is to have pegs to determine if the bird is in the correct position and field effect switches to start the songs playing. I have ordered a board which will hold 199 mp3 tracks. It use RS232 to provide the signal. An arduino will convert the binary switches to serial.

Re: Bird display for MDM

Unread postby Denis » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:53 am

It looks like I ordered hall effect sensors not switches.
A3144E OH3144E Hall Effect Sensor
The board I ordered is the MDFLY AU5016. It holds about 2000 tracks. I am going to check my sensors out soon.

Unread postby Denis » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:01 am

The field effect components I received are described as sensors in some places and described as switches in other places. They are switches not sensors. A Field Effect Sensor output if no magnetic field is near it is about half the supply voltage. When a magnetic field is brought near it then the output will go up or down depending on the polarity of the magnet. The nominal voltage change with a 5 volt supply would be around a volt. A supper strong magnet would cause a greater change. The output of these go to ground when one of my 1mm x 3 mm magnet is about 1/4 inch from it.

The circuit for the display is much more complex then I had realized. Then again I new it could be too complicated when we talked about it. My design is shooting the moon. I left the option of making it simpler. The complex design is having 28 locations where birds could be placed. 27 birds could be placed on the display at one time. (one bird can go into 2 locations). The birds outputs are crossing so there will need to be a way to separate one bird from another. As I am typing this I think I may have the solution. I will work on that.

The simpler way to do it is to have a few birds with songs and have only a few positions which will cause the bird to sing.

End of message

Unread postby Michal » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:24 am

I was thinking about using optical sensors to detect a bird ID. Every bird would have 4 black or white concentric circles on the bottom and in the base there would be 4 light sensors and LEDS. white circle would reflect the light and black would not. You would get 2^4=16 of total combinations.

Unread postby Denis » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:36 am

Thanks for the idea of using photo switches Michal. I have been toying with the idea but had dismissed it. I may return to photo switch for a part of the switching.
I have designed it with Field Effect switches. I have the FES's and the magnets.
I will limit the scope of this message to only parallel port control.
The UA5016 has holes for 0.1 inch pins. There are three rows of 8 pins. I have put pins through the holes and plugged it into a cut up breadboard.
I am powering it with an Arduino. The unit is drawing 80-90 ma. I can power it using 5 or 3.3 volts.
There are pins It has a stereo headset output. I have a headphone jack plugged into the breadboard.
I have the board playing bird songs recorded on an SD card using the parallel switches. I have not tried using more than one switch at a time. I should be able to play up to 200 birds songs by using only switches. There are 8 parallel inputs to the board.
The photo switch, which Michal suggested, may work good for the habitat. I will post the habitat truth table on another post.
As can be expected the documentation is not up to date. There is a reset "pad" on the original board which is labelled. There is no labels on this board for the reset. The board is laid out differently and I don't know which of the 5 points I should short to ground to reset back to factory.
There is an MU jumper which needs to be shorted for the parallel ports to work. The MU is not labelled on this board but it appears like those pins are working without the jumper. The stereo output pins on this board and in the document are different.
All in all I am very happy with this board.

Post Note: apparently I was not in "parallel" mode. I am going to use. I am going to wire it up for 8 birds so I can do something for d-day. They will be very happy with that.
Last edited by Denis on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby Denis » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:05 am

Here is a file that contains a binary code for the birds display at MDM.
Attachments
birdsMDM.ods
Birds and habitats for MDM
(11.03 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

Unread postby Denis » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:20 pm

Here is the data sheet for the MOL AU5016.
http://mdfly.net/Download/Module/AU5016.pdf

There are a few significant differences between the old and the new.

They have updated this file. If you go to the link then do a refresh to get the latest version. The old version may be in your cache.

Unread postby Denis » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:07 pm

I had an accident with my board. Partly due to the wrong datasheet being blind and clumsiness. I am ordering 3 more.
Last edited by Denis on Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby Denis » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:02 am

Here is a list of the bird calls which will be used by the display. The calls are from Cornell.

Bird call file Names
1011.OVENBIRD.MP3
1012.WOODCOCK__AMERICAN.MP3
1021.WREN__WINTER.MP3
1031THRUSH__WOOD.MP3
1032.WARBLER__CANADA.MP3
1033.PEWEE__EASTERN_WOOD.MP3
1034.WARBLER__MAGNOLIA.MP3
1035.WARBLER__BLACK_THROATED_BLU.MP3
1036.VIREO__BLUE_HEADED.MP3
1041.WARBLER__BLACKPOLL.MP3
1042.WARBLER__CHESTNUT_SIDED.MP3
1043.ORIOLE__BALTIMORE.MP3
1051.TANAGER__SCARLET.MP3
1052.CROSSBILL__WHITE_WINGED.MP3
1053.KINGLET__GOLDEN_CROWNED.MP3
1054.CREEPER__BROWN.MP3
1061.WARBLER__PARULA.MP3
1062.WARBLER__BAY_BREASTED.MP3
1063.WARBLER__BLACKBURNIAN.MP3
1064.CHICKADEE__BOREAL.MP3
1065.WARBLER__BLACK_THROATED_GRE.MP3
1071.SAPSUCKER__YELLOW_BELLIED.MP3
1081.WOODPECKER__PILEATED.MP3
1091.VEERY.MP3
1101.FLYCATCHER__OLIVE_SIDED.MP3
1111.FLICKER__YELLOW_SHAFTED.MP3

number code is such NNNN.BIRDNAME.MP3
NNNN is used by the MOL-AU5016
Nxxx is the index use by the AU5016
xNNx is the habitat id
xxxN is the bird id.
Having the birdname inbedded in the filename did not change how it played. This makes it human readable.

Unread postby Denis » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Here is part one of the bird songs.
Attachments
birdsForMp3Player1.zip
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 144 times

Next

Return to Projects