Establishing Maker Spaces in the Bangor Region

Post any group announcements or event dates here

Establishing Maker Spaces in the Bangor Region

Unread postby garrettwilkin » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:33 pm

It seems like there is an opportunity to establish multiple maker spaces in Bangor. I think what is needed is a bit of consulting advice on the key elements required to establish such as space.

I think we've tossed this idea around before, but it's come up again recently. If you're interested in helping area organizations navigate the particulars of establishing these spaces, please reply to this post. We'll need input from multiple hackers in our community in order to ensure that the spaces are hitting the right targets of equipment, availability, and location.

Re: Establishing Maker Spaces in the Bangor Region

Unread postby edburdo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:08 pm

I think you are right. I think there is some opportunity in Bangor.

Oddly enough, I came here to post this article from BDN about the new Portland makerspaces...

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/08/07/l ... -portland/

Unread postby alsochris » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:18 am

I would love a Bangor Maker Space. I can lend my networking expertise to make sure the maker space is wired for ethernet and wifi, as well as any switching and routing needs.

Unread postby garrettwilkin » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:35 pm

We are moving ahead with this idea. Semi-Secretly....

Unread postby woodmaker » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Well first off i would love a makers space i've been woodworking since i was 9 years old and i've been building homes since i was 12 but since i had to move. I haven't had the space to be able to do proper work. The thing is we would first need a space and a pretty big space at that. Equipment, Basic tools but not only that which is the more expensive part of it. You would also need a space that will make for easy loading and unloading of lumber and equipment. And every member of the makerspace would have to pay dues to the workshop every month to help cover the costs of electricity rent/lease of the building and repair of worn down machines. And there would have to be somebody there working the front deck taking calls sending update emails and not only that but to show people how to properly use the many machines. When and if someone is doing something pretentiously dangerous. Then you have the legal aspect of it some one could be disfigured have there fingers and hands potentially removed so there would have to be legal documents that in short say you use the machines at your own risk. To prevent overcrowding of what i would think to be a vary wanted space there would also have to be time slots for a certain number of people in the workshop to many people could spell disaster for unwanted mistakes and injuries. I think this would be a hard thing to really establish without the help and support and endorsement of companies like home depot and lowes. What i would rather local wood companie like Granville Lumber but i also think that a makers space in bangor and surrounding areas would be great. I personally know a lot of people who would enjoy a makers space and if we can get one maker space established i believe that there would be more and more popping up all over the place. Its a great way to learn and connect with fellow wood workers i know i for one have a lot still to learn and i have lots of knowledge of witch to pass down to the many pupils who may walk through the door. I for one would volunteer my time to work the front deck and clean the shop to prevent unwanted fires in exchange for maybe a discount on membership or some free time in the shop there's a lot to work out but i also know how wanted a makers space would be for the maine people and i would love to be a part of it

Return to Announcements & Events